Katherine M. Whitney
Co-Founder, Owner, & Director
Katherine Whitney is a co-founder and director of Warren Whitney. She has more than 25 years of experience in helping organizations reach their potential. Katherine has a passion for helping to strengthen non-profit organizations by building good business practices to support their missions.
Roles & Areas of Expertise:
- Board Development
- Board Member Cultivation
- Board Assessments & Governance Guidelines
- Nonprofit Mergers
- Succession Planning
- Executive Director/CEO Searches
Education & Certifications:
- MBA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BS in Mathematics, Davidson College
- Graduate, Leadership Metro Richmond (1992)
- BoardSource Certified Governance Trainer
Professional & Volunteer Associations:
- Church Schools of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia, Board Member
- The Memorial Foundation for Children, Board Member
- The Richmond Symphony Orchestra, Nominating and Governance Committee
- RichTech, Past Board Member and Board Chair
- Northstar Academy, Past Board Member
- St. Catherine’s School, Past Board Member, Governance Committee Chair, Strategic Planning Committee Chair, Search Committee Chair
- The Virginia Home for Boys and Girls, Past Board Member and Board Chair
- Heart of Virginia Council of the Boy Scouts of America, Past Board Member
- Robins School of Business at the University of Richmond, Past Advisory Board Member
- Greater Richmond Partnership, Past Board Member
- The Richmond Chamber, Past Board Member
Most of Katherine’s work involves understanding the current position of an organization and working with its staff, management, board members, and other supporters to determine strategic direction and to create an approach to implement that strategy. In addition to facilitating strategic plans, Katherine uses the strategic direction of the organization to support board development in areas such as board education, board member cultivation, board assessments, and governance guidelines.
Katherine works across a number of nonprofit sectors, including education, human services, animal rescue, historic sites, conservation, membership organizations, and foundations. Her approach for an engagement is tailored to each organization with particular attention given to the organization’s culture.
Katherine conducts training for specific organizations as well as for groups representing a mixture of organizations. Her training work includes topics such as “Roles and Responsibilities of Board Members,” “Board and Management Partnerships,” “Cultivating New Board Members,” and “Nonprofit Mergers.”
She has also been a speaker on a national seminar circuit for manufacturers and currently facilitates workshops on nonprofit governance topics.